New thread, so it can be disassociated with the trolling of the parent thread.

The whole linux replacement for exchange problem has been a thorn in Real Time's
side for a very long time. And from the heated debate on the parent thread I
guess others are feeling the "thorn" too.

I swear our sales guy (hi Dennis!) asks me weekly if we have a -complete- linux
solution for exchange.

So, here I'll start a constructive thread to discuss solutions. Below is a post
from Nate that is a good start:

>>On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:15:48AM -0500, Christopher A. Gahlon wrote:
>> Help!!!  The CEO has just mandiated unified calendaring/scheduling for our
>> company.  And unless I can find a viable alternative he says I'll be stuck
>> supporting exchange and outpuke.
>
>I haven't checked this out, but this was announced in April by Sendmail.
>
>They now have a Calendar server.
>
>http://store.sendmail.com/cgi-bin/smistore/e.store/prodcategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCook+ie=Yes&prodCategory=-9343&localId=USA

I think the hardest part of replacing exchange is the shared calendaring. So,
how about some links and discussions on productions/solutions that implement the
iCal protocol?

Sendmail Calendar Server I've seen, but there problem is listed below:

Systems and Standards Supported

Platform Availability: Sun Server running Solaris 8
Required Software: Oracle 8i Enterprise Server - 8.1.7 or higher
Required LDAP: OpenLDAP 2.0.1; iPlanet 4.16, 5.1

No Linux platform.

AOL/Netscape offers a solutions as well.

http://enterprise.netscape.com/products/commsvcs/calendar.html

Again, the problem:

What operating systems does Netscape Calendar Server 6.0 support?

Netscape Calendar Server supports Solaris 8.

Now, Solaris is Unix, but I'd prefer a linux solution.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>         | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500