I use rsync -e ssh between work and home to sync my muttmail.
What I'm trying to do is push really large files around quickly,
video files to burn to cdrom(VideoCD format).  Its a bummer to
have to wait minutes for the files to transfer when you know you
should be able to approach 10MBytes/sec speed on 100MB ethernet.
So compression and encryption are undesirable.

I just got rsync server stuff figured out:
man rsyncd.conf
/etc/rsyncd.conf:
[my_tmp]
path=/tmp
The notation on the client side changes and is a bit tricky:
rsync file.tmp rbox::my_tmp/file.tmp
Notice the two ':' and the my_tmp "module" name.
Much easier to setup than rcp and rlogin :)

Mike: I think its the NIC card, I upgraded to 2.4.18 to pull in
new 8139too.o NIC module, and it complains about too much interrupt
activity to handle.  I'll try a loopover cable, or swap out the
NIC card till it works.