I have the SMC 7004 VWBR access point which will take an external modem.
Its works, but wasn't very convenient because an XP box on my network
was chatty enough that it always kept the link from going down so I'd
have to log into the admin screen to bring the connection up/down .
Also, for some reason I rarely got better than 3.5Kbps out of the
connection.

I ended up moving the modem over to my linux server which got the
throughput up to the 5Kbps range. I still have to manually initiate the
connection, but kppp is nicer to use than the SMC admin screen. It also
lets me choose between using my Visi and U of M accounts while the SMC
had to be locked to a single dial-up number and account.

But if your friend only has a single machine he should be fine, and if
that machine is running linux, he should be able to use the demand
dialing feature on the ap to automatically bring up the link to the isp.

--rick