The U is using MAC addresses to verify that you can be on the network?
That's silly.  Don't they have some better method of authentication?

Hrm...  couldn't you plug in and sniff for ARP requests to get some MAC
addresses and use ifconfig to change yours to someone elses who is already
registered on the network?  Then you could hop on the network without a
registered card.  :)  Just a thought.