for quite some time the gating factor preventing calendar application
interoperability has been the lack of a calendar/scheduling protocols
and a specification.  this has come a long ways in the last year or so
within the CALSCH WG[1].

the new apple iCal (to be available in the next release of OS X) and a
handful of other mom and pop calendaring packages have been using this
spec. as of late.  it might be interesting to see if someone comes up
with a standards based plug-in for outlook (or *gasp* if MS came out
with support for it - i wouldn't hold my breath for this) which would
enable the community to crack the server nut and allow folks to
actually replace exchange with a suite of open protocols and servers.

harass your favorite calendar software vendor for iCal support.  as
martha stuart would say - it's a good thing.

when last we saw our hero (Thursday, Jul 25, 2002),
 Ben Lutgens was madly tapping out:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 06:52:16AM -0500, Scott Dier wrote:
> >
> >Year to a Year and a Half, Two years at most.  Thats my guess until
> >an open source open-standards calendaring solution is out there.
> >Mozilla having a decent calendar and evolution are both real good
> >reasons as why this will happen eventually.
>
> People have wanted this for many many moons, but alas it's not come
> to pass. Don't hold your breath scott :-(

references

[1] - http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/calsch-charter.html

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC