On Sat, 03-Aug-2002 at 12:41:07AM -0500, tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org wrote:

> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:09:39 -0500
> From: Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>
> To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
> Subject: Re: [TCLUG] ATT is modifying some of my traffic
>
> Quoting Austad, Jay (austad at marketwatch.com):
> > > Tried Covad SDSL?
> >
> > Yep, can only get iDSL through them, 144kbps.  Sucks.  Maybe Xcel energy
> > will start testing those IP over power line thingies.  Or maybe the FCC will
> > reverse their decision and force cable providers to open their lines to
> > other providers.  Or maybe a bunch of us need to get together and build a
> > nice wireless net and chip in on a fat pipe to the net.  :)
>
> Come to the next TCWUG meeting and hear Mike Horwath (from Visi) explain why
> this isn't possible from a business prespective.

I'm not sure which thing you mean Mike H. will explain, but I can tell
you that the IP over power line thing works in Europe, but is a PITA
(read:  prohibitively expensive) here.  It comes down to the choice of
having the last transformer be central and serve lots of houses, which
is what they do in Europe, or having lots of little transformers for
fewer houses, which is what we do here.

You have to do some gymnastics to get IP around xformers; HF doesn't
want to pass through them.  We have just too many of the things to get
around, so it's too expensive.

There was an article in, I think, SciAm a couple of issues ago.

--
www.rephil.org / University of Minnesota

"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable" -- Anonymous