Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> said:

> Considering the speed of serial ports, I wouldn't recommend getting a
> serial printer.  However, I think there are some other options.  If you
> have a PCI Mac, you could probably get a USB card that works in MacOS
> and Linux and get a USB printer.  Another option would be to get a
> printer with an Ethernet port, or an external print server (an HP
> JetDirect box, for instance) that connects to a network.

You can get a Lexmark MarkNet pro I at MPC for $15 with power supply. They
work just fine on a network with Linux. I have two connected to my network.
One with a Okidata Okipage 4w and one with a HP 682 deskjet (actually the
deskjet is connected to a MarkNet XLe).
The MarkNet from MPC will need the setting reset to factory defaults but you
can find the information on the Lexmark web site.

Joseph Key