First, thanks to those who replied to my question about installing Xephem. I
got it in, up and running and it works really great! I really appreciate the
speedy and knowledgeable help I have gotten here so far. Thanks for helping
out this ultra-green newbie.

Next set o' questions... really, I want you to know that I have done
research on all of the below, but I'm still not sure if the few items I did
turn up will work with my particular situation. I know most of the folks who
post here are running Linux on Intel-based computers, but not me.

I'm in the market for a 56K modem for my Mac Power PC 6500 that's running
Linux...  I've posted here about this and was told, correctly, that the
internal modem this computer came with won't work under Linux. I have been
trying to find an external 56K modem that will work with my PPC running
Yellow Dog 2.2. YDL 2.2 is basically Red Hat for the Macintosh, so I would
think that a 56K external Mac modem *should* theoretically work with this
'puter, but no one that carries them seems to be able to tell me for sure if
they would or not.

I have done some searching, but cannot seem to find a product whose specs
would indicate that it will work on my computer.  Rather than buy one that
won't work for one reason or another, I wondered if anyone could point me to
some brand names that would suit my purposes.

I also have a useless StyleWriter 2400 that won't work with Linux. This Mac
only has serial ports, so whatever printer I get would need to be Mac- and
Linux-compatible. I almost bought a printer today that is supposedly
Windows, Mac and Linux compatible, but unfortunately, it was a USB-only
connector.

I will continue to do some searching and calling around... but I thought it
might be a time-saver if someone here who has run Linux on a PPC would tell
me what kinds of modems and printers have worked with their setups.

Thanks guys and gals,

Jackie
--
"All of us are in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." -
Oscar Wilde