If they said 'untar in root', they probably meant to copy the .tar file
to the / directory:

cp filename /

then untar it:

tar -xvf filename

and it will then extract it into some subdirectories.  Since it's not a
packaged file (rpm, tgz, deb, etc), then you may want to take note of
which files were extracted and where they ended up, in case you need to
uninstall it later.

Michael Vieths
Foeclan at Visi.com