Howdy,

A friend gave me a CD with some very cool astronomical charting/graphing
software on it, called "Xephem". I would like to install it on my Mac-based
Yellow Dog Linux system, but unfortunately, friend gave me a one-line
cryptic sentence as installation instructions ("untar in root) and I don't
know what to do next. I have no experience installing software in Linux and
friend is unavailable this weekend for installation instructions.

Can someone tell me what to do to get this thing installed? Basically I need
to know what to type after I put the CD in the drive... from what I
understand, "tar" is sort of like a "zip" deal, where the program needs to
be "untarred" (unzipped) to install... but I don't know how to "untar"
anything. I'm a real green newbie to Linux... can anyone help?

Thanks!

Jackie
--
"All of us are in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." -
Oscar Wilde