ON Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 10:07:24AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> I've got a machine here which is consistently locking solid after 1.5
> to 2 hours uptime and I'm looking for possible explanations.
>
> Any suggestions for what other than heat may have killed this box's
> reliability?  Is it probably heat even though memtest86 is fine?  (And,
> if so, why is it overheating now but not a month ago?  The room it's in
> is still around the same temperature.)

movement:

If you've moved the box recently, open it up and check all cable connections
and seatings.

heat:

You don't have onboard thermometers, do you?
Check for fan failure, obstruction of airflow by cables, dust buildup, etc.
You can probably rule out any heat-related problems by opening up the case and
blowing a box fan through it.

power:

Replace the power supply. Put the machine on a UPS if available.

other components:

Start swapping out parts, including memory.

--
Michael