I'm not a very active member of this list but I do read almost every
post and contribute when I can.  I have learned a lot from all of you.

I do agree that auto responders should not reply to mailing lists.  A
polite email to the user (that they could forwarded to their admin)
explaining the problem might resolve the issue.

Creating a hostile environment and intentionally triggering the auto
responder may serve to drive away a potentially valuable new member.  If
the admin in question is logging blocked emails and he looks at the
contents of any of them he may decide this list isn't worth the
electrons that transport it and block the whole thing.  I'm pretty sure
I would if I didn't have previous experience with this list.

It is hostile postings such as many following the original posting that
give Linux the childish reputation that so many windows zealots have
repeatedly pointed out to me.

Maybe it's not the admin in question that needs to be whacked with a
clue by four.

Chris