FOREWORD
********
Given that Tim Wheeler's questions posted to the tclug-jobs list are
more conversational in manner, I figured the tclug-list would be a more
appropriate venue to discuss things.  Given that, I've edited my
response to only answer the questions Tim asked.  Tim's original
Message-ID can be found in the In-Reply-To header of this message, and
the message can be found in the tclug-jobs archive.

TO TIM
******
Congratulations on finishing your college education.  Good luck on
finding a job.  Be resigned that you may have to sell yourself to one of
the Horned One's(tm) minions, namely Bill Gates afficianados, and work
with Pure Evil(tm), namely Windoze products.

THE QUESTIONS
*************
On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 01:41:36PM -0500, Tim Wheeler wrote:
> 1) How did you get into this line of work? Was yours a typical career
> path?  What other paths did you consider?

Let's see, I was a Biochemist student in college who had an addiction to
the DEC 420 "dummy" terminals.  The soft amber glow of the terminal
brought to life a whole new world for me.  Unfortunately, it was late in
my education cycle and I resigned to finishing up my current major but
took a year of Computer Science courses, just because.

The summer following my graduation ('97), a school-mate of mine emailed
to inform me that the company he was interning with was hiring full-time
employees.  He had dropped my name, and his boss was interested.

A week later, I was programming in C and Informix I4GL on a DEC OS/F 1.
After a year of programming, writing tech docs, and watching my company
sell-out to Micro$oft on behalf of the customer's desires, the boss and
I had a "falling-out" of sorts.  I started looking for work again.

Two months and a 30% pay cut later, I found myself as the Sr. Systems
Engineer at a small company in Rogers, MN.  The company was in sore
disarray w/resp toward a network setup, computer support, and the year
2000 approaching.  I agreed to work simply because I had a large auto
loan payment to make, even though my heart was in programming.

I learned in the trenches how difficult Microsoft products were to keep
up and running, and saw the benefits of Linux first hand.  We replaced a
$3k firewall package with a 486/DX2 running Debian slink (I believe)
with the new 2.2.x kernel and ipchains (Thanks, Kochie!).  Shortly
thereafter, my home machine was completely converted to a Linux box (no
more dual-boot).

About a year after I started, I learned through a TCLUG source that a
job was opening up at a company called eBenX for C programmers on SunOS
for Sybase.  I applied immediately and told my employers that we needed
to change our plans for hiring an assistant to hiring a replacement.

I landed the job at eBenX and LTi hired Zibby to replace me.  He was a
little wet behind the ears (having just graduated from High School), but
he stood up well to my questioning (inquisition) and seemed to be
confident in solving standard tech problems.

About six months passed at eBenX, and I was extremely unhappy with the
political drama that was unfolding before me.  Programming was great,
but recognition was nil and innovation was frowned upon.  TCLUG-JOBS
heralded a position opening up at Real-Time Enterprises (Hi, gang!) for
a Java developer.  I had taken a course in Java programming while at
LTi, so I gave it a shot.

Six months of a great work experience at RTE came to an end,
unfortunately, and I had to look for work elsewhere.  I hopped on to
another ISP (Hi, Mimbach!) for a short period through a reference from a
friend (Hi, Kochie!).  That didn't last long, however.  Financial
insecurity and the long commute killed my enthusiasm to work there, so I
jumped on the chance to work elsewhere when it presented itself.

Kochie (gnap!) was looking for a replacement at the IMA at the
University of Minnesota.  I was a little late getting my application in,
but I ended up with the position.  Kochie moved over to the Math
department, and we all lived happily ever after.

SUMMARY
*******
All of the employers I've worked for have been through references from
friends and acquaintences.  Although, I'm not working as a programmer
right now (*cry*), I am employed and working with Linux. ;-)

Were I do to it all over again, I would have been much more frugal with
my spending habits and saved up a nest-egg.  Such a nest-egg would have
allowed me to explore more employment opportunities as a programmer
instead of having to work as a Systems administrator/manager (busywork).
In fact, most of my financial faux paux's were because I wasn't used to
being able to buy what I wanted when I wanted.  However, no savings
means stress when financial situations arise.

Advice: save, save, save. (You want to ideally be able to pay your bills
and living expenses for three months on cash reserve.)

> 2) What is a typical entry-level position? What about starting salaries? What
> advancement opportunities exist beyond the entry level?

$30k-$40k is average starting, depending upon your background and
experience.  Expect a 5% increase in salary per year, and additional
2-5% upon receiving professional certificates or promotions.  Don't be
afraid to take risks and go for that "dream job", and DON'T SELL
YOURSELF SHORT.

The most common mistake I've made in the past is underselling myself.
Know the company you're applying to and try to get a taste for what
they're willing to spend.  Shoot high.  The potential employer will
ALWAYS accept the LOWEST number you voice.  DON'T say, "I'll take $25k
to $30k" if you really want $30k.  They'll offer you $25k, and you'll be
grumpy.

> 3) What advice would you offer me if I chose to pursue a career in this area?

Have fun.  Administrative jobs and tech support jobs may be easier to
find than programming positions.  Working with Micro$oft products will
be much easier to find than working with *NIX products.

> 4) What kind of education/training does one need to get into this field? Can
> you recommend specific graduate programs?

Just know your stuff.  A saavy manager will question you based on
technical knowledge.  If you have a college degree and list those
systems and software you're familiar with, that should be enough.
Buzzwords work on Resume's, but technical knowledge works in interviews.

Beware the large HR department.  These people will interview you and
grade you based on your resume and basic questions.  If you answer "No"
or "I don't know" to certain "outline" questions the IT manager handed
down, you may not get in the door.  Don't lie, but be careful how you
answer.  The best way to get into an interview is to know someone in the
company or by getting a referral from someone who does.

> 5) Is on-the-job training available/required?

Probably. ;-)

> 6) How are job openings publicized in this field? What trade or
> professional journals do you read?

If the job is publicized, you're going to have heavy competition.  Take
the referral route first, followed by "door-knocking".  Lastly, look at
ads.  Find a company you want to work for and call them up.  Be
proactive toward your goal, not proactive toward the classifieds.

> 7) How do most people get hired in your organization? Are some methods more
> effective than others are?

References, references, references.  Remember the addage, "It's not what
you know, it's who you know."  All else fails, knock on doors.

> 8) Do you offer internships?

Lots of companys do.

> 9) Are candidates for full-time employment considered from the intern pool?

Absolutely.  They're usually offered the job first if they're good at
what they do.

> 10) How competitive is the entry-level job market in the Minneapolis/St. Paul
> area?

Quite.  Get truckin'!

> 11) What is the employment outlook in this field? How is this industry doing?
> What are the emerging jobs in this career area?

Tech jobs will always be available.  They may shift around a bit, but
there will always be need for support and customization.  Larger firms
will more likely hire both.  Smaller firms may hire either, depending
upon their need.

> 12) Whom would you recommend I contact for more information?

Your friends, the companies you want to work for, us.

GOOD LUCK!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie