On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:34:34PM -0500, Jima wrote:
[Cisco 678 upgrade woes deleted]
> No, not yet, but the information in these two URLs *should* have the
> relevent answer.  (I hope.)
>
> http://archives2.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2001-July/038737.html
>
> http://archives2.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2001-August/014920.html
>
>  The first (evidently) shows how to tweak Minicom to upload the image
> properly, and the second shows how to recover a trashed router.  (Now
> *that*, I've done, but only before I went Linux-only.)

Thanks Jima.  I tried the Xmodem method in the first link above.
Worked like a charm, very first try.  The solution was to change
the minicom xmodem settings to use 1k blocks, with the following
command-line switches:

    /usr/bin/sx -vv -k

The '-vv' is for verbose; I just left that as is.

I was surprised that minicom didn't require package lrzsz (which
provides /usr/bin/sx et. al.) -- how was it doing xmodem before
I installed lrzsz, I wonder?

I truly find it amazing that there is so much variation in what
works and what doesn't when updating Cisco router firmware.

Using debian stable: minicom 1.82.1-1 & lrzsz 0.12.21-3,