On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 01:56:43PM -0500, Michael Busse wrote:
> Check out Smoothwall GPL.  The VPN works great between me and several
> friends.  Very easy to setup and maintain.
>
> http://www.smoothwall.org

The website implies that the SmoothWall VPN module is an addon for the
Corporate version, not the GPL version.  The cost difference is
substantial, especially when the request was for a low-end server.
Compare over $300 to $0.

We should perhaps ask more questions about what is required: ease of
maintenance, cost, interoperability, etc.  If we can assume that cost is
a greater issue than ease of use/maintenance, then something like
FreeSwan, which implements IPSec, may be a more acceptible candidate.
If interoperability between different OS's is /NOT/ important, then
something like vtun would work out well. (We use vtun at the IMA.)

PPTP is great for Windows machines, but if you want to VPN a Mac,
something more standard like IPSec may be required.

So, what exactly is needed for this VPN solution?

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie