On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 09:37:01AM -0500, Joel Rosenberg wrote:
> On Saturday 13 April 2002 09:10 am, you wrote:
> > I've got attbi.com and all I see is broadcast traffic.  Certainly no POP.
> > Do you really see all the other traffic?
> >

> Yup.

I beg to differ, You do not see other peoples POP traffic, you might
see your own, but that's about it, otherwise you'll see a few things:

1) broadcast ARP
2) broadcast DHCP requests (sometimes filtered )
3) traffic meant for your network

AT&T goes so far as to block 137-139 so that all the windows boxes
of the world aren't able to broadcast their crap onto your lan.

AT&T also implements BPI (encryption) between the cable modem and
the head-end systems.

http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203