Take a look at 3ware.com, their escalade raid cards are pretty nifty, and
fairly well supported in linux.

Their newest 7850 cards (which pricewatch.com lists for about $510) will
support 160 eide hard drives (may require an update to the card).  8 160
gig drives will give you 1120 gigs, for about $2500 (drives+card).  Note
that the newer cards are 64-bit PCI cards.

I've got a couple of their older 4-port 6000 series cards running under
linux and have been quite happy with them. I believe these card support
hot-swap but my application didn't require it so I didn't get hot-swap
canisters.

I believe that Promise makes a 6-port eide raid card that also works well
with linux.  6 120 gig drives would give you your target 500 gigs.  IIRC,
their products are still 32-bit PCI cards.  You can probably find out more
information at www.promise.com.

Jeff