> Anyone care to pipe in with equipment recommendations?  Presumably a
> router with NAT & DHCP on one side, and capable of picking up a DHCP
> IP address on the other?  An internal firewall on the device would be
> a plus.

Go buy a Linksys, D-Link or SMC switch/router for Cable modem connections.
(I use a D-Link DI-704)  Do not purchase the "family" crap from AT&T.
Normally they will issue one IP address served by  DHCP to your new cable
modem router.  That device will then serve an IP address to all your PC's on
the LAN using NAT and DHCP.  It will serve up to 32 simultanious internet
connections.  The built-in firewall is very good and allows port forwarding
to specific PC's and even has a DMZ zone for a single PC.

The service from ATT has been very good.  I have had no outages in 1 year of
service.  Also, you can purchase a cable modem (Best Buy) and save an
additional $10/month.  It will pay itself off in 10-12 months.