On Monday 08 April 2002 03:50 pm, you wrote:
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/4134/1/
>
> After you read the story...
> The solution met the required result but none of the optional results.
> The solution did not meet the required result, but met the optional
> results.
> The solution did not meet either the required result or the optional
> results.
> The solution was one man's desire to implement linux no matter what.
>
> IPC 2002

Me, I'm suspicious of a couple of attorneys that can't collectively afford
$80/month for connectivity.

That said, the specifications for the project seem to be rather ephemeral and
nonspecific, other than the clients wanting WordPerfect and Timeslips, and
the writer wanting the server to run under Linux -- without any obvious need
for a central server, rather than peer-to-peer.

If that was the only real issue -- "I wanna run these two Windows programs,
and I don't care about anything else" -- going to Linux seems to me to be a
little silly, except for a central file server to be used primarily for
backups, which is trivial.  The complications seem to have arisen from the
bizarre choice to go to a central Windows applications server running under
Linux -- without any particular need, other than to avoid sneakernet for file
sharing.

The simple way would have been to simply add a central Linux server -- for
backups, and to be the firewall/gateway machine, once the lawyers were ready
to plunk down that heavy $80/month -- and leave it at that.

--
There's a widow in sleepy Chester