I'm planning to add a drive to my file server share but I wonder if it
will be too slow?

Here's my setup

   sda2 - root (everything except /home)
   hde2 - /home
   sda3 - unused (14GB)

   using Samba to provide fill access to network clients

My plan is to assign sda3 under the /home directory for network file
access.  Specifically, I'd like to assign it to my private share.

   /home(hde2)/foo(sda3)

While I haven't tried it yet, I'm assuming it should work.  Also, I can
still keep my Samba assignments simple (currently I just have public and
the generic "home" shares).

HOWEVER, will the system be accessing both hde2 (for /home) and sda3
(for /home/foo) for every file access?  Or will it know where /home/foo
is and directly access sda3 without traversing first to /home (hde2)?

-- Doug