I'm trying to set up a central sendmail server for my home network.
To a first approximation, what I want is just a place that will catch
all the mail for 'root' and for crontab users, from two or three
boxen, so that I only have to sit down at one box to get updates on
the situation.

I can't seem to find any FM to R for this task --- most seem to be
aimed at either (a) sendmail for a single box with envelope
masquerading or (b) sendmail for a box exposed to the internet doing
general email service.

I'm stumbling along, but keep getting the following errors when
subsidiary boxen send email to the mail server:

Mar 29 09:13:13 cthulhu sendmail[20590]: NOQUEUE: nyarlathotep [192.168.0.14] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

the subsidiary box, nyarlathotep, is sending mail through mailx, the
lightweight mailer that you get by default in Mandrake (both boxen are
Mandrake 8.1).  Does anybody know if this mailer does something
deviant with smtp?  Or is there perhaps some handshaking that's
blocked by tcpwrappers on nyarlathotep?  Or, is this a problem because
I don't have DNS on my subnet, and DNS lookup doesn't work to
authenticate nyarlathotep?  I'm having a hard time even figuring out
how to troubleshoot this and, as I said, my googling doesn't seem to
help.

Thanks,

P.S.  I have considered changing to qmail or postfix, but that seems
like a big mess of additional cost, when the sendmail solution almost
works.