On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 09:08:57AM -0600, Michael Busse wrote:

> Just built a linux router with 802.1q trunking.  Works quite well.
> Anyone have any ideas on how it'll compare, performance-wise, to a
> Cisco router?  The pc it's built on is a P166, 64MB RAM, 100MB NIC.

VLAN's, yum.

As for a comparison to a Cisco router, it depends on what you're using
it for. As a NAT/MASQ box it's better than a Cisco. If you're using static
routes at 100Mbit I'd say the performance will be the same (make sure you
check the 'optimize for router, not host' option in your kernel).

If you're familiar with the interface to a Cisco router then you might
be interested in using "zebra" instead of the linux console, it provides
an almost exact copy of the Cisco enviroment on your PC (it even has bgpd,
a BGP daemon).

http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203