Mike Hicks wrote:

> I think VFAT has some bigger limitations on the characters that you can
> put in filenames compared to other filesystems (but this may have
> changed).

I ran into that one.  It looks like ext3 allows extended ASCII characters
using the format \nnn, for example \231 for a 'c' with the squiggle below
it.  This doesn't fly in vfat.

> The inability to control permissions bothers me
> the most, though.  I can't stand to have all those files marked executable
> all the time...

That and a few other things bothered me, I ended up bouncing the data to an
ext3 partition then repartitioning and reformatting the drive for ext3.

-David