Ok I am installing vmware on a machine running RH 7.2.  I have secured the
machine with bastille linux, so I can no longer log in as root at the
login prompt, I must log in as a user first.  Vmware needs gcc to install
and I have tried to install the rpms as root but they do not install when
i use the rpm -i command with the rpm name.  The only error was that it
needed a directory made, I made that and the error went away but it still
was not installed. Whereis just reports "gcc:" and which can not find it
in the path. What could be the problem here?  Is it just a problem with
the path?

Thanks
Colin Kilbane