I'm not neccesarilly looking for a single product, but maybe 2 or 3
applications that work with each other.  I am trying to avoid a "bunch"
of small apps that will end up hard to manage or trouble-shoot.

The artical is a bit dated like you said, but it does address some of
the same concerns.

Thanks

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:49:30PM -0600, Jim Streit wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a way to replace an Exchange 5.5 server with a
> > Linux solution that would provide all of the same functionality for
my
> > outlook client.  I currently use the Exchange server for e-mail,
> > contacts, notes, tasks, calendars and public folders.
>
> I don't know of any single, monolithic, open-source software package
> that attempts to act as a 'drop-in' replacement for proprietary
> groupware systems such as Microsoft Exchange, Lotus Notes, and Novell
> GroupWise.
>
> However, a team from Lucent did write a paper describing how they
> accomplished the goal of 'Providing Reliable NT Desktop Services by
> Avoiding NT Server.'  This paper was written in 1998, but the
underlying
> principles and much of the information is still valid:
>
> http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa-
nt98/full_papers/limoncelli/limoncelli_html/limoncelli.html

> The paper is also available as a PDF document:
>
> http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa-
nt98/full_papers/limoncelli/limoncelli.pdf