Now that HP OpenMail is dead (www.openmail.com) you could try this:
http://www.samsungcontact.com/en/
Not open source, but has the support for Outhouse clients (last I checked).

I have a demo that I have yet to install (free trial).  If it is anything
like the old HP OpenMail, it could be a good product.  Never go the chance
to run OpenMail (other than a demo for an old employer), but was impressed by
the fact it had many command line tools and man pages to boot.  It looked
like it was capable of many thousands of users, and handled remote
administration via shell o.k. It would handle most of the functionality of
Outlook + Exchange with the exception of offline folders (although this was
planned as of OpenMail V7.0.

I was also investigating letting Outlook publish to an FTP server to share
calendar info.  Has anybody tried this often overlooked feature of Outlook?
I know most folks on the list will not admit to using a client such as this,
but wondered if they were forced to be productive with it...

Kelly Black
KB0GBJ