On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:49:30PM -0600, Jim Streit wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to replace an Exchange 5.5 server with a
> Linux solution that would provide all of the same functionality for my
> outlook client.  I currently use the Exchange server for e-mail,
> contacts, notes, tasks, calendars and public folders.

I don't know of any single, monolithic, open-source software package
that attempts to act as a 'drop-in' replacement for proprietary
groupware systems such as Microsoft Exchange, Lotus Notes, and Novell
GroupWise.

However, a team from Lucent did write a paper describing how they
accomplished the goal of 'Providing Reliable NT Desktop Services by
Avoiding NT Server.'  This paper was written in 1998, but the underlying
principles and much of the information is still valid:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa-nt98/full_papers/limoncelli/limoncelli_html/limoncelli.html

The paper is also available as a PDF document:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa-nt98/full_papers/limoncelli/limoncelli.pdf

--
Joel Schneider               Yan Xin Qigong in Minneapolis
joel at joelschneider.net       http://yanxinqigong.minneapolis.mn.us/