I'm new to linux and am trying to run CVS in pserver mode and keep receiving
an error message about
setgid/setuid: Operation not permitted.

Here's my current config

I have cvs running using a non-root account named cvs with its own group
'cvsgroup'

in the CVSROOT/passwd file I have entries as follows

<cvs_user>:<pwd>:<system_user>

if <system_user> happens to be 'cvs', then all operations work correctly
if <system_user> is another user that belongs to 'cvsgroup', I get errors
regarding setgid/setuid

The only way I have been able to get rid of the error is by setting the
uid/gid bits on /usr/bin/cvs
i.e. chmod 6755 /usr/bin/cvs.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate course of action.

Am I better off running cvs as root ?.    Are there cleaner ways of running
CVS in pserver mode.