On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 nate at refried.org wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:59:53AM -0600, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Joel Rosenberg wrote:
> > > Way cool; I hadn't known that anybody was still using vi, what with emacs
> > > being available.  :)
> > >
> > What with the port of vi to emacs the emacs users finally
> > have access to a real editor ;)
>
> Just to note, this is the kind of banter that will not be allowed during
> the meeting.

This suggests another possible topic for a meeting, or series of
meetings:

A Newbie's Introduction to the Great Unix/Linux Flame Wars

   vi vs. emacs
   kde vs. gnome
   which distribution?

This may actually be more suitable for a beer meeting, if we could get
a private room.  It could be quite educational and entertaining, given
good moderators.

Seriously, those who are new to the Linux world have no idea what these
issues are about, and why they are taken seriously.  They may feel
intimidated and left out when they restart, as they always do.  So this
is a problem we have to face, and we might as well try to do something
useful with it.

Glenn McDavid
gmcdavid at attbi.com
gmcdavid at winternet.com