On Saturday 29 September 2001 06:30, Paul Rech wrote:

> 1) What exactly do I have to get from Qworst?  Do they string a new
> line?

MOnthly service contract, and if your phone lines are okay, then they "might"
be able to.  However, when I had ISDN I had to get a new wire dropped as both
of my copper pairs were taken by phone lines.  You need to provide the
connection device: ie. modem.

 Can I use my current phone line?  Do I have to pay them a monthly fee in
addition to the ISP?

See above about the line.  They can/should test it for you.  $70+ a month
line charge is what I was paying w/o the ISP charge.

> 2)  Is it really faster.  I don't mind paynig extra if I get 128K, but
> I don't see any mention of that on the
> Qworst site.  Just 64K.   Can only certain locations get 128K and the
> rest get 64K?
> The ISP web pages quote 64/128K prices but is it as simple as paying
> more to get the 128K?
> Or does my phone line need to checked?

Where I am located, I was able to get a max connection of about 115 instead
of 128.  I believe that is the tops for qwest.  Depending upon how far out
you live, you may only get 64k.  If it's too far, you may not get it at all.

> 3) Is any old ISDN modem adeqaute for dial-up service?
> Some are $200, some are $300.  What is $300 buying me?
> There is a $195 USR ISDN modem at mwave.com.  Says its the replacement
> for the
> 3COM Impact IQ modem, which seemed to be quite populare on google.
> That would seem to be enough, no?
> I just want to surf and download.

I'd recommend a router first, then an external serial device.  Try to avoid
an internal ISDN card.

> 4) Any other costs I'm overlooking?

Umm, can't say it here.  But needless to say it involves Vaseline....