On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 09:23:12PM -0500, Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:
> > BTW, my method would be to change /etc/apt/apt.conf and apt-get update to
> > Woody, install apache, and then change apt.conf back to "stable" and apt-get
> > update things back.
>
> It will not work. Potato and Woody are not similar enough. Woody libs
> being newer is the main concern.

Yes, it would work to do it that way.  I've done it many times.
However, odds are that apache won't be the only thing upgraded - the
necessary woody libs will be brought over also, which in turn may
force other packages to also be upgraded.  Or it may not.  When you
get to the `apt-get install apache` stage, you'll be told everything
that would get upgraded and can decide whether to go through with it
or seek an alternate method.

Going for the source deb also works, though, and would probably be
safer if a binary upgrade would involve many libraries.

have already won. - reverius