On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 01:10:09PM -0700, Mike Bresnahan wrote:
> For similar reasons it is much easier to develop applications with Java than
> with C++.  It can be a major pain to get a set of C++ libraries to compile
> and link together...

Major pain as in "I have to pay $30 for 2 CDs or download them for free"?
Any distribution has this sorted, ya'know?

>                      Were they all compiled with exception support?  Are
> they COFF or ELF or XXX?

I do not have C++ with XXX linkage. Only some JPGs...

>                          Are they all thread safe?

What? _Any_ code can be not thread safe, even a java package you get
from somewhere...

>                                                     Which thread API do
> they use?  How ANSI compliant are the headers?  Oh no, they named their
> widget with the same name as our giget.  Why or why didn't they use
> namespaces?  Oops another Microsoft non-standard extension.

Namespaces is a very _STANDARD_ thing. Not Microsoft, not extension.

>                                                             Do they use the
> same name mangling scheme?

If not compiled with the same compiler (/version) no, for obvious reasons:
because vendors do not want to agree on a common ABI, so they can lock
you in their "standard".

>                            Which version of GCC were they compiled with.
> Which version of the GNU runtime libraries work with this compiler?  Oh you
> mean I have to download this patch from Oogle's site in order to make GCC
> 4.5 work with Kobop's libraries?

What have this to do with C++ specifically?

>                                  Template friends have not yet been
> implemeted in this compiler.  I could continue for your viewing pleasure,
> but I must run.

Sure... run. You can run but you can't hide...

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4