I checked Amazon and there is a book called "The Code
Book" by Singh.
Is that the one?

Because there is also a book called "The Codebreakers"
by David Kahn.

I need to know for sure because I haven't bought a
computer book in at least three days.

While we're at it, anyone read "Crypto" by Steven
Levy?
It gets good reviews.

However, I thought he was the guy who wrote that
fawning piece about M$ in Newsweek couple years ago.

"M$ has the best software, M$ has the smartest
people, if they don't they'll just hire the smartest
people and then write the best software".

Not an exact quote but you get the idea.

If that's the same guy, you got to question his
judgement.

Paul

"Austad, Jay" wrote:

> > For anyone who's interested in a nice discussion
of the role
> > of cryptography in history and a good description
of public
> > key cryptography I would recommend Simon Singh's
"The
> > Codebreakers." A very entertaining piece of geek
writing.

> This is an *excellent* book.  It runs through the
history of different
> ciphers and how to break them.  Note that all 10
crypto challenges at the
> end of the book were cracked last year.  Singh also
wrote Fermat's Enigma,
> which is an excellent book on Fermat's Last Theorem.
 Interestingly enough,
> the proof for Fermat's Enigma uses techniques that
didn't exist back in
> 1630, so fermat's proof (if he truly had one) was
most certainly quite
> different.  If you're going on a book spree, get
these two, you won't be
> able to put them down.  Singh makes otherwise dry
topics quite interesting
> reading.
>
> Jay

=====
Paul Rech
pauljrech at acm.org pauljrech at yahoo.com
651-430-9935 hm 651-246-6823 cell

"The instructions said "Win95 or better required". So I installed Linux"