"Erick Stohr" <evisuale at mn.mediaone.net> wrote:

> I am getting this erro message when booting my linux system, happens
> when the partitions are being checked:
>
> request_module[block-major-8]:Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root file device 08:32
> Kernal panic VFS Unable to mount root fs on 08:32
>
> Any ideas? I have booted and looked at the system with "rescue" mode and
> run fsck on the partitions, but have no idea what else to do. thanks for
> any help.

[mike at 3po][~]$ ls -l /dev|egrep '8, +32'
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       8,  32 Apr 14 19:43 sdc

Looks like your LILO configuration is telling the kernel to mount /dev/sdc
as the root device.  This is probably wrong, as very few people use the
whole disk.  Most of the time, you use a partition, referenced like
/dev/sdc1.

If you remember what device your root partition is on, you can try to tell
the kernel where it is at the LILO prompt by typing `linux root=/dev/sdc1'
or whatever is appropriate for your system.

Someone should really make a patch to the kernel that searches for a
partition that looks like a root device, or allows the user to select one
if several seem to exist..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   We all live in a yellow