On Sat 2001/09/15 02:44:55 CDT, Yaron <jethro at freakzilla.com> writes:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Mark Browne wrote:
>
> > ME boots much slower after I added 256mb of memory!
> > I expected the slowdown on memeory POST but what the heck is the OS doing
> > with it?
>
> I dunno, I have 1 gb of RAM and that totally _killed_ Win98, which ME
> actually is. If you have over 512MB that'll pretty much kill Windows
> <2000... you have to fool it into thinking you have less.

Actually, it seems to be anything over 256MB makes Win98 unhappy.  I'm
running Win98SE on one machine and just upped it to 384MB and now it is
slower booting and pauses at random intervals for a short period (<1 sec).
It also seems to cause MS Photo Editor (the one shipped with Office XP) to
crash and immediately cause a BSOD at random points.

Before anybody asks, I'm reasonably sure the memory is good.  The post
check and chkmem (dos program for checking memory) say good -- Norton
Utilities says there is a problem, but I'm guessing something else isn't
playing nice (I keep meaning to try Norton under Safe mode but haven't
gotten around to it).