If the cable is in-wall, I'd want to try something more ephemeral,
just so I could revert to a more "recommended" approach
later on without screwing up my wall jack (unless I knew I
had lots of extra cat5 in the wall and hated the look of custom
cabling). To each his own.

As much as I like the rustic look of custom cable, though, I do
prefer like the "run more cable" and "always run extra cable"
options.

>>> natecars at real-time.com 09/19/01 02:59PM >>>
Are you saying use 2pair for one ethernet line and 2 for the other, or
split 2pair into 2 ethernet lines?

If you just want to do 2 separate ethernet lines, each using 2 pair, you
can do it, but it's not recommended. Basically, just wire a jack up on
each end.. one pair across 1-2, one pair across 3-6.