When folks on this list first started talking about building our own Linux
distribution, I wondered why the world would need yet another distribution...
but now I've found a reason.

Last week I sat in on a coworker's presentation in a class
at Washburn High School.  The teacher of that class has had to personally get
donated PCs from a prison work program, personally install (pirated) software
on them, personally install keyboard trays on the tables, and then personally
provide tech support, because the school won't do any of it for her.

The reason she has computers in the classroom in the first place is that she
finds her students learn more and better when asked to do reports as
PowerPoint presentations than when asked to do essays.

Naturally, in the course of the day the computers' configurations get messed
up.  I suggested that Linux would prevent them from doing any real damage,
and she was intrigued, but realistically there's no way she could get over
the learning curve in the few minutes a day she has available.

So anyway, this is my long-winded way of suggesting that we could make a
distribution for schoolteachers, providing basic functionality for a
classroom environment. --Ben