I haven't been following this thread that closely so what I'm about to say
may be repetitous of other statements.

Slots I have known...

ISA - One section(8-Bit) or two section (16-bit) Main characteristic: wide
contacts. Color -Usually Black

VESA Local-Bus(VLB)- A 16-bit ISA slot with a small narrow contact section
behind it. By necessity all VLB cards where "full length" at least along the
contact edge. Color - "add-on" is usually brown.

EISA - physically similar to a 16-bit ISA slot. (It had to support ISA cards)
Main difference is the number of conacts. The contacts are about half the
size of an ISA slot.  Color - Black or Brown depending on maker.

NOTE: All ISA derivitave slots are off center to the opening at the back of
the case.

MCA - Smaller off-center slot positioned to start about half way up the 8-bit
portion of an ISA slot. In general if a system has MCA slots thats all it
has. Mostly IBM systems (PS/2 Models 50, 60, 80, and some 70) Some other
makers may have used MCA. Color-Usually brown

PCI - Small centered slot. Design allows "sharing" of an opening with ISA
slot. Only one can be used at a time. Color - Usually White.

My memory's a little rusty on some of this so it may not be exactly correct.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com