>>>>> "fi" == Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> writes:

fi> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 10:16:02AM -0500, Bill Layer wrote:

>> If you are running the 'nsrouter' version of 2.4.1 or 2.4.2, could
>> you please test your speed and let me know? This seemed like a
>> direct cause & effect relationship (from my end) but it still seems
>> like an easy coincidence...

fi> I am running nsrouter version of 2.4.3 and DSLreports gave me
fi> 534/228.

I'm still running 2.4.1, but I'd had the same sort of slow download
speeds that Bill appears to be having now.  In my case, it appeared to
be related to the signal strength.  Nowadays, here's what I see:

    cbos#show int wan0
    wan0   ADSL Physical Port
           Line Trained
           640 Kbps down; 272 Kbps up; 136 down baud; 136 up baud
           Line Quality 28 dB
           TX Power +7.1 dB  Remote TX Power +14.3 dB
           GTI FW Rel B.91

My "Line Quality" is now a pretty healthy 28dB.  When my DSL circuit
was first installed, I was lucky if I got 18dB, and often times it was
as low as 16 or 15 dB.  It was my (perhaps flawed) understanding that
anything under 20dB was starting to get iffy in terms of working
versus not working well.  I don't know what the minimum signal
strength is, but I've seen my circuit work at 15dB.  {shrug}

If I recall correctly, about a year and a half ago, US West did
something to their DSL equipment that caused my signal strength to
jump up 10+dB.  At the same time, I broke the ~240Kb/s download
barrier.  Onvoy claimed they didn't make any changes to their ATM
configuration, so I guess I the bandwidth change was related to
something US West did.  {shrug}

As you can see at http://www.snookles.com/mrtg/scott_wan0_lq.html,
there have been periods when the signal strength is down near the old
levels.  I don't know what causes the fluctuation.  I haven't seen a
strong correlation between errors and signal strength.  I would've
guessed that I'd see more errors with lower signal strengths.  It's
weird, but I've decided to be grateful that it works at all: analog
modems suck.  :-)

-Scott