On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Troy.A Johnson wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Windows 1998 is being compared to Linux 2001.

Yup, I'd have to agree.  kernel 2.4, X 4.x, gnome, and KDE are designed in
2001 for 2001 hardware.  If you go back and compare a 1998 distro, say
RH5.2 running fvwm you may see an increase in performance.  One thing I
noticed about X 4.x is that it runs better than 3.x on new hardware but
slower on old hardware.

I've got a 233 with 192 MB RAM and Mandrake 8 runs circles around Win2K,
I'm not brave enough to try XP on it.  The funny thing is that NT admins
were giving me funny looks when I told them Win2K even ran on my
system.  Most didn't think it'd even boot.  Even in today's distros a 133
is a useful machine.

-Brian