56k on Win98 is a US robotics sporster.  The 33k is a Supraexpress. Both systems using netscape 4.6. They are
both 4 or 5 years old.Win98 seems to start out at 3 or 4 k /sec but invariably drops to <2k after a couple of minutes.
On Linux the whole download usually occurs at 4 to 6 K.  Even win98 downloads seem faster if I route through the
ppp connection on linux as opposed to direct dialing from the win98 box.