From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Thomas Eibner
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 9:05 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Linux vrs Windows speed - What gives?

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 02:13:18AM -0500, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> >Is there some sort of speed tuning I should do?
> >I am testing Linux primarily with a 133 MHz P1 with 64 mb with 20mb of
swap.
> >Don't tell me to get a faster box - I have one.
> >WIndows 98 runs OK with this hardware.
>
> X is extremely resource intensive, and this is most of your problem. Also,
> your swap should be twice the size of your ram if your using 2.4.x kernels
> (that's straight from Rik Van Riel himslef) due to the VM subsystem.

And windows is not? I became convinced that I wasn't going to use
Windows2k for anything on my new machine after seeing how hot my
processors got in Win2k idle-mode. This is Linux when I'm using the
system:
SYS Temp: +39.00C   (limit = +450C, hysteresis = +400C)
CPU Temp: +36.30C   (limit = +600C, hysteresis = +550C)
SBr Temp: +25.00C   (limit = +650C, hysteresis = +600C)

Right after I rebooted from a 10 minute what-am-I-really-doing-here in
windows the temperature was way above 50C.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>