Your mileage may vary...

Thanks,

James Spinti
jspinti at dartdist.com
952-368-3278 x396
fax 952-368-3255
-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org [mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org]On
Behalf Of Paul Overby
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 8:34 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Linux vrs Windows speed - What gives?

I found more memory was an excellent investment.  Win95 on a 200MHz with 32
meg of memory ran fine but netscape in a KDE desktop was veritually
paralyzed by swapping.  I upgraded to 96 meg and now both systems are rather
comparable.
One interstering performance difference I found was in downloads.  On Linux
with a 33k modem I can download files
3 to 4 times faster than I can on my win98 machine with a 56k modem.  The
win98 machine is nearly twice the hardware as well.  Obviously there are
other variables here besides the OS but I'm still pleased.  Anyone have
guess at
whats going on.