to add to all the previous comments, here's my opinion:  start out with a
more lightweight distribution, like VA linux (based on redhat 6.2).  use a
more efficient, window manager, like blackbox, or fvwm2.  the thing you
can do with linux is actualy find out more easily what kinds of things are
taking up resources.. load up a terminal, and run the 'top' command.. then
when top is up, use the 'M' key to change to "sort by memory usage"  that
will show you what is using all your ram, with mandrake 8, and all the KDE
stuff, i wouldn't be supprised that you were using it all up, and just
spending your whole day swaping.  just as a basis for comparison:

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
12793 ben        9   0   812  608   520 S     0.0  0.4   0:01 blackbox
17426 ben       10   0  1444 1444  1136 S     0.1  1.1   0:00 rxvt
17452 ben        9   0  2268 2260  1768 S     2.9  1.7   0:00 xterm
17427 ben        9   0  1400 1396  1080 S     0.0  1.0   0:00 bash

by looking at the different processes i'm running on my xterm server.. you
see that the blackbox window manager is taking up only 800K or so of ram,
and by using rxvt, insntead of xterm, I save about 800K of ram also.
compare this to KDE, which uses many megs of ram.  and a kde terminal that
uses over 4MB of ram (sorry if i'm off a little.. i'm going from memory)

if all you do is STFW, then maybe win98 and IE are good enough for you,
but if you want to get more signifigant tasks done, linux is more
powerfull, and more secure in it's core design.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)