On Thu, 2001-09-13 at 22:11, Thomas Eibner wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 09:53:24PM -0500, Dave Sherman wrote:
> > Greetings everyone,
> >
> > Got a small problem. I have APache running on a test server at home,
> > with perl and mysql. So far, so good.
> >
> > Now, I want to add perl/cgi capability, so I can run a couple of perl
> > scripts that I wrote a long time ago. Anyhoo, the scripts run ok from
> > the command line, except for the fact that they don't have an http
> > request string to use in the environment variable -- the point is, the
> > perl interpreter says everything is ok with the scripts.
> >
> > However, Apache will simply not run my scripts from my user directory! I
> > even created a really simple script, to see if Apache was barfing on
> > something within the script in spite of perl itself saying it was ok.
> > Apache won't even run a simple perl script. The error is the infamous,
> > "Premature end of script headers".
> >
> > Scripts seem to run fine in /home/httpd/cgi-bin/, but not in my home
> > directory (/home/user/www/cgi-bin/, where 'www' is set up as the
> > UserDir).
> >
> > As far as I can tell, I have things configured to allow user cgi's in
> > /home/user/www/cgi-bin/.
> >
> > Why won't Apache run scripts from my home web directory???
>
> 'Cause it's probably not set up to do so. Either you have to do
> something like:
>
> ScriptAliasMatch ^/~(user)/cgi-bin /home/$1/www/cgi-bin
>
> Or you have to enable it for the specific dir with:
>
> <Directory /home/user/www/cgi-bin>
> Options +ExecCGI
> </Directory>

I have the Directory set pretty much like yours above:

<Directory /home/*/www/cgi-bin/>
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

However, I do not have the ScriptAliasMatch -- in fact, I've never seen
that directive. I will look it up, and maybe try it if it looks like it
makes sense. Only one question: If I already have the <Directory> bit,
do I really need the other thing?

Dave