On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 10:09:23AM -0500, Amy Tanner wrote:
>Any tips for finding a rogue DHCP server, that is a device answering
>DCHP requests?  I'm having a problem where some device must be answering
>DHCP requests and offering 192.168.1.X addresses, that shouldn't be.

Is it a windows machine that's picking up this address? I've seen them just
randomly pick an address if it can't speak to the DHCPD.

Secondly, are there any residential grade wireless gateways on the network
that might be the culprit.

Third, you could try to find the of the DHCPD in question on the client
machine that's getting the offending address. winipcfg ( < win98 ) or
ipconfig /all from a 2k machine will show this info.

If it's a *nix machine there are a few places to look ( can't think of any
off the top of my head )

Not sure the best way to find a machine based on IP address.