If you are in Time Warner land you shouldn't have to do anything. Potato
uses the dhcpcd package (DHCP Client Daemon) Progeny/Woody/Sid use
dhcp-client package. By default, you'll get pump, which has a tendency to
freak out on renewing the DHCP lease. Hopefully pump has been fixed, but
I'm sticking with the dhcp-client.

If you're in AT&T land you'll have to give them the Hardware (MAC) address
of your NIC before you can get online. Time Warner just uses the cable
modem itself for auth and whatnot and avoids this step.

TimeWarner will give you 5 ips, AT&T 1. Even if you have Time Warner I
suggest going with a NAT box as their DHCP servers have been somewhat
flakey in the past. (I think this has greatly improved, but I like having
the NAT/Firewall box there.)

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"We can learn much more from wise words, little
from wisecracks and less from wise guys."
--William Arthur Ward