Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:42:52 -0400
From: David Somner <dave at htxtech.com>
To: IT Union <it_union at lists.microshaft.org>
Subject: [It_union] DMCA and recent viruses

Jeff Lane,

You are totally correct - the DMCA does expressly prohibit what the BSA
says you can do.  It's the biggest crock of shit ever designed.

Recently I found out something interesting about the Code Red and SirCam
"worms/viruses".  I found out where they originated from by doing a
little bit of tracking reverse engineering.  I contacted the FBI.  They
told me to destroy everything I had on it and keep my mouth shut.  If I
even talk about who actually created the viruses and WHY they were
REALLY created, I could go to jail, rather than having some real
criminal charges being bought against a certain computer software
manufacturer for purposfuly selling software that containes viruses
designed to allow the company back door access to every computer in the
world with it's software installed on it.

The DMCA has to go... NOW... it has given the wrong types of people
unprecedented power to do whatever they want.  Remember when the US CEO
of Sony said that Sony was working on software that could invade a
person's computer, find out if you had any music on it from Sony, and
then shut that computer down, deny it total access to the internet if
they wanted to, from anywhere in the world?  I wonder if Sony
implemented that... but guess what, you can't decode a CD to see if that
software is installed on it, and you can't reverse-hack their website to
see if they are secretly writing files to your hard drive without your
knowledge.  You would be in jail in seconds...

Heh - just had a thought - with the DMCA, the criminals are the ones
with good thoughts in mind, and the "good" guys just want to rape
everyone any way they can just because they can.

* DOWN WITH THE DMCA!
* VIOLATE THE CORRUPT!
* THE NEXT REVOLUTION - FREEDOM OF IDEAS!
* REMEMBER THE CONSTITUTION!
* REMEMBER IT IS ILLEGAL TO PRODUCE AND PURCHASE A COPY OF THE
CONSTITUTION THAT HAS NOT BEEN PRINTED BY THE U.S. GOVERNMENT AND HAS A
SPECIAL STAMP ON IT! (HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT NEW SCHOOLBOOKS DO NOT HAVE
A WRITTEN COPY OF THE CONSTITUTION IN THEM ANYMORE?)
* REMEMBER THAT IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A PRIVATE CITIZEN TO OWN ANY OF THE
EXISTING COPIES OF THE CONSTITUTION OR THE BILL OF RIGHTS!
* REMEMBER THAT THE U.S. SUPREME COURT HAS ISSUED WAVERS TO "LAW
ENFORCEMENT" TO EVERY PART OF THE CONSTITUTION AND BILL OF RIGHTS!
* YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS!
* SMILE - OR THE THOUGHT POLICE WILL GET YOU!

--Dave