On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 01:08:29PM -0500, Jack Ungerleider wrote:
> On Friday 07 September 2001 10:33, you wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 02:43:53PM +0000, Rick Engebretson wrote:
> > > I really like how Borland rebuilt C++ to make it more readable.
> >
> > You don't remember Turbo Pascal, do you?  All Delphi's Object Pascal is
> > is Turbo Pascal with improved classes and exceptions.  C++ has nothing
> > to do with it.  Also remember that Delphi came before C++ Builder.
>
> Not only do I remember Turbo Pascal, I remember Alice. 8^)
> True Delphi came before C++ Builder, but Turbo C++ was out long before
> Delphi. ;-)

While that may be true, it's irrelevant.  The real strength of Delphi
was VCL, which Turbo C++ didn't have.  And since you brought it up, I
did some digging[1].

  Turbo Pascal 3.0	1985
  Turbo C 1.0		1987
  Turbo C++ 1.0		1990
  Delphi 1.0		1995
  C++ Builder 1.0	1997

I don't remember Alice.  I started with Turbo Pascal 5.5, which probably
was the best place I could have started.  This is, of course, after
excluding any version of BASIC.  :)

Nate

[1] http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/borver.htm