On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 12:40:43PM -0500, Clay Fandre wrote:
> Ahhh, you're right. How about looking in dmesg to see what each network interface is?
> tsmcyf at lildeb:~$ dmesg | grep eth
> eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet, 00:D0:B7:43:D1:D4, IRQ 11.
> eth1: Xircom: port 0x300, irq 3, hwaddr 00:10:A4:9A:50:76
> tsmcyf at lildeb:~$

Unreliable.  dmesg reads from an 8k circular buffer, so machines
which have long uptimes or use certain kernel functions will lose
information from it.  (One of my servers uses the kernel RAID
implementation.  6 RAID devices and each one of them spews a
bazillion lines of messages as it starts up.  By the time the system
finishes booting, dmesg shows _nothing_ except RAID trivia.)

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox